The purpose of the Writing Olympics is to encourage student achievement in creative writing and artwork. The PTO asks that teachers and parents render encouragement and age-appropriate assistance to these young authors and artists. Participation is voluntary, but highly encouraged!
Here’s how it works:
- Students in Kindergarten through Sixth grade are eligible to participate by writing a story or poem and submitting it to their teacher by the deadline.
- Participating students will receive a gift card for one FREE ice cream cone, attached to their certificates received on Author’s Celebration Night!
All authors will be recognized at the Writing Olympics Author’s Celebration Night. In the elementary auditorium, everyone will receive a booklet featuring all published works, a certificate, and a free ice cream cone gift card.
The rules for authors are as follows:
- Entries must be received by the deadline. No late entries will be accepted. Please do not wait until the last day to submit an entry.
- Authors should follow the 5 stages of the writing process 1) brainstorming an idea; 2) preparing a first draft; 3) revising; 4) proofreading/correcting; 5) preparing the final draft. All Submissions should be a FINAL COPY. This means the entry has been proofread by your parent(s) and is submitted “ready for print.”
- All entries must be from an individual student-NO GROUP SUBMISSIONS.
- One submission per student.
- VERY IMPORTANT: The story title, name of the student, teacher and room number should be clearly visible at the beginning of the story. PLEASE BE SURE TO SPELL YOUR TEACHER’S NAME CORRECTLY!
- Parents and teachers who wish to save copies of stories should make the copies in advance – stories will not be returned.
- All students in all grades shall prepare their work independently, with parent(s) help making it ready for print.
THERE’S MORE …
We are also looking for talented artists to design the front and back covers of the booklet
- Pre-cut paper is available in the art room.
- Entries must be drawn in pencil, or black or blue pen or marker. No color please!
- Each entry must include the words “Hoosic Valley Writing Olympics”
- Be sure to include your name, grade and teacher (spelled correctly) on the back of each
- The 2 cover pieces will be chosen by a committee of your peers.
Here are some suggestions to get you started on what to write or draw:
Tell about your holiday traditions, a Christmas wish, a special vacation, a special gift.
What do you do in the winter? Ski? Snowboard? Snowmobile? Ice-skate? Hockey? Basketball?
Who is your hero? Why?
Do you have a pet?
Tell about your family or a relationship with a friend.
Tell about your birthday party.
What do you want to be when you grow up?
Tell about someone you admire.
What is your favorite song? Why?
Do you dance, take gymnastics, play an instrument?
Did you have a funny dream?
These are just a FEW suggestions for topics to write about. YOUR IMAGINATION IS NEVER ENDING AND WE CAN’T WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH!
If you have any questions or need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us!