Hoosic Valley PTO
Date: March 21, 2023
Time: 6:30 pm
Location: Hoosic Valley Elementary School library
President: Liz Ruepp
Vice President: Lissa Kalbfliesh
Secretary: Lisa Meehan
Treasurer: Carolyn Gifford
In Person attendees: Denile Paro, Tiffany Hurley, Stacy Maxon
Virtual attendees: none
Call to Order:
The meeting was called to order at 6:34pm
Approval of Minutes
The minutes from the January meeting were approved.
- Treasurer Report: Treasurer report account balance of $30020.66
- Still some outstanding reconciliations from Vendor Fair and Odyssey of the Mind t-shirts.
- Significant upcoming expenses include PARP reimbursement and senior scholarships..
- Yearbook – Deadline to purchase has been set at April 30 in order to receive and distribute in a timely fashion. Work continues and candid pictures still needed. See Tiffany Hurley if you would like to help.
- Marketing for yearbooks begins immediately – social media posts, in school campaign and flyers to go home with kids in the next few weeks.
- Vendor Fair – Denile Paro reported that the event was successful with 48 vendors in attendance. Last minute cancellations were able to be filled, food sales and raffle went smoothly.. Mixed comments from vendors – some reported less traffic. Perhaps consider moving the weekend depending on when Easter falls next year. This committee is looking for a co-chair for next year – please contact Liz or Denile if you are interested.
- Also, a great big thank you to the 4-5 volunteers who make this day a success. Please consider getting involved next year – many hands!
Unfinished (Old) Business:
- Plants for staff room: Even more donations have been received, to be delivered soon.
- Writing Olympics: Unfortunately, this event will not be held this year due to scheduling issues and lack of volunteers. It was suggested to try it again next year but move it to January when there are fewer conflicting events.
- Stewart’s Holiday Match: received an award of $1000 for classroom libraries. This falls short of the amount needed for giving a meaningful amount to each teacher. Looking for ideas to raise those additional $2000 to meet this need. Any ideas should be forwarded to Liz.
- STEAM night: This event was not able to get started in time for this school year. Lisa suggested having an initial meeting this year to setup up goals and targets to keep us on track for establishing this event next year. Liz will forward that request to Mrs. Greco.
- Spring Pictures: All students PreK-6 were photographed on 3/10. The vendor continues to be incredibly efficient at getting through all the students with the least amount of disruption. Families can still order pictures on the website: Adirondack School Portraits.
- Thank you to Liz and Megan Luskin for assisting that day with getting kids photographed.
- Senior gifts: After a brief discussion,it was decided to go with socks again this year for every graduating senior.
- Senior Scholarships: Looking for volunteers to serve in reviewing applications and selecting recipients based on outlined criteria for the 3 awards that HVPTO sponsors. Please contact Carolyn Gifford if you are interested.
- Teacher Appreciation Day: The official day is on 5/2, soliciting ideas for a unique way to appreciate our teachers and staff at Hoosic Valley. Last year was baked potato bar and tacos which was a big hit but a lot of work for the few volunteers. Please bring forward any ideas to Liz ASAP.
- PARP: The program kicked off and is going well. Thanks to Mrs. Silverman and all the teachers who stayed to decorate the school and build enthusiasm for this great reading program that also benefits Ronald McDonald House in Albany.
- Meet the Candidate Night: May be held in early May, depending on the number of candidates who submit petitions to run for the single seat. Stay tuned and reach out to Liz if you have interest in assisting with this event to benefit the community.
- School Banking: Broadview Credit Union is bringing back a kids banking program, however it will be outside the realm of school. They are offering a donation to PTO if we distribute information to students. This was tabled until better information is gathered and the deadline to act is June 30.
- Learning Fair: This event will coincide with BOE/School Budget vote night on 5/16. Participation was low last year but it is expected to build back up this year. Amanda Akin has agreed to coordinate the event – please contact her or Liz if you are interested in helping.
- School Supply Kits: It was agreed to continue with the same vendor as last year- Bright School Kitz. Lisa Meehan is looking for a co-chair on this as she begins to work on getting updated lists from teachers and quotes in place for ordering. Contact Lisa or Liz if you are interested in assisting. Help is especially needed on kit delivery day during the last week in August.
- Summer Fundraiser Help Needed: We expect HVPTO to be called up to assist with the 50/50 raffle at the Schaghticoke Summer Concert. This is a very easy and lucrative fundraiser and it takes just a few people a few hours of time on a summer evening. Please consider volunteering when the details are released and request for assistance is made.
- Yearbook Signing Party: Tiffany Hurley suggested hosting a Friday evening event to distribute and sign yearbooks for those who ordered them. This could be a fun family event and give “early access” to yearbooks. It was agreed that we should try to hold this event. See Tiffany if you are interested in assisting with planning the details or assisting at the event.
- Zillah Herrington Fund: The balance needs boosting since Scholastic has changed policies about getting books through the BOGO book fair. In the past, local businesses were solicited to obtain monies for this specific program which was well received.
- HVPTO Officer elections: If you are interested in running for any of the offices for this organization, or if you have any questions regarding officer positions, please reach out and let it be known.
- No funding requests were received.
- Guptills skating night – Unable to contact Guptills so this event will not happen.
Date: April 18, 2023, 6:30 pm Elementary School library
Motion to adjourn was at 8:00pm
submitted: LJM 3/27/23