Skip to main content

March 2023 Agenda

Hoosic Valley PTO

Meeting date:3/21/23 @ 6:30pm

Meeting location:  Elementary School library 

  • Call to Order
  • Minutes:  Review of minutes
  • Treasurer Report
  • Committee Reports
    • Yearbook
    • Vendor Fair
  • Unfinished (Old) business 
    • Plants for staff room
    • Writing Olympics
    • Stewart’s Holiday Match
    • STEAM night
    • Spring Pictures

New Business

  • Senior gifts
  • Senior Scholarships
  • Teacher Appreciation
  • PARP
  • Meet the Candidate
  • School Banking
  • Learning Fair

Funding Requests

Future Discussion


November Meeting Minutes

Hoosic Valley PTO

meeting Minutes

Date:November 15, 2022

Time: 6:30 pm

Location: Hoosic Valley Elementary School library

In Attendance

President: Liz Ruepp

Vice President: Lissa Kalbfliesh

Secretary: Lisa Meehan

Treasurer: Carolyn Gifford

In Person attendees:  Demile Paro, Kimberley Macica, Stacey Kyea, Tiffany Hurley, Sarah Weber

Virtual attendees: None

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 6:31pm

Approval of Minutes

The minutes from the October meeting were approved unanimously 

Committee Reports

  • Treasurer Report: Money minder up to date – no outstanding transactions; currently preparing for tax filing with accountant
  • Yearbook: Tiffany Hurley reported that the theme has been chosen, work is being done and pictures are being collected for school and classroom activities. Please upload pictures to the link on the hvpto website.

Unfinished (Old) Business:

  • Halloween Night: Trunk or treat went amazingly well, huge attendance and lots of positive feedback. Lessons learned will lead to a few logistic changes for next year regarding candy donation and candy hand out. Also need to emphasize that this is not a drop off event! Next year will be October 27 and Mrs Macica reported that NJHS would like to be involved this year for games in the gym.
  • School pictures took place Oct 21 and 22 – all went well for the most part. Thanks to the volunteers who assisted with that.
  • Numerous plants were obtained through donation by a community member, for staff rooms – expect to see those soon.
  • Book fair: Most successful book fair ever: total sales $8588.64 leading to profit of $1913.11, which will largely cover the need for the Zillah Herrington program in spring. Also had $900 in scholastic dollars to spend which were used partly to obtain library books and the remaining went to obtain ZH books. Big thanks to the volunteers on this, but note that it’s crucial that we find a volunteer to head this up for future book fairs.
  • Conference Night Teacher Potluck: successful event, appreciated by teachers and staff. Especially popular were grab and go items like pizza and garbage bread. Leaving takeout containers was also a big hit and made cleanup easier. Thanks to those who donated, set up and cleaned up!

New Business

  • Festival of Wreaths: Communication for this went out and publicized on website and facebook- currently have 10 wreath commitments and expecting more. Call for volunteers to sell tickets during band and chorus concerts (12/8 and 12/15) as well as during ornament night on Dec 2nd will go out on Parent Square and Facebook, or see Liz. Wreaths we’ll be hung on 12/1 after school.
  • Ornament Painting night: This will be on 12/2 6-7:30pm, coordinates with Festival of Wreaths. Order forms went out and online ordering has been set up thru cheddar up. Ornaments are expected to be returned and distributed the week ofDecember  19th.

Funding Requests

  • The funding request by Erin McCaullife for $220 to fund a field trip for art students to Mass MoCA was rescinded as the cost was covered by MAC.
  • No funding requests were received.

Future Discussion 

  • Guptills skating night discussed as a winter activity. Liz Ruepp will call for details and scheduling options to be discussed next month.
  • Discussion of hosting a STEAM night with area businesses doing presentations and activities for students. NJHS may be able to assist with logistics. Proposed date for consideration is 3/31 in evening. Suggestion was made to consider setting the activity up to include the junior high students as well. Committee will be forming shortly – reach out to Liz or Lisa if you are interested.

Next Meeting

Date: December20, 2022, 6:30 pm Elementary School library

Motion to adjourn was at 7:20pm

submitted: LJM 12/11/22

Meeting Minutes

Date: September 22, 2022

Time: 6:30 pm

Location: Hoosic Valley Elementary School library

In Attendance

President: Liz Ruepp

Vice President: Lissa Kalbfliesh

Secretary: vacant

Treasurer: Carolyn Gifford (virtual)

In Person attendees:  Lisa Meehan, Tiffany Hurley, Denile Paro

Virtual attendees: Alyla Goldman, Brandee Silloway

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 6:37pm

Approval of Minutes

The minutes from the June meeting were not presented due to the transition of roles, that resulted from the resignation of the past Treasurer. Carolyn Gifford is now the Treasurer. 

The board moved to appoint Lisa Meehan to the secretary position for the remainder of the term.

Committee Reports

  • School Supply Kits:  Lisa reported that 103 kits were sold in May thru August. Delivery was on September 1st and went smoothly (with assistance from the office staff and Meghan Luskin). A check for the fundraising portion in the amount of $282.75 is being mailed to the Elementary School office by the vendor.

Unfinished (Old) Business:

  • Town Hall concert: Liz reported that HVPTO was invited to participate in the Schaghticoke town hall concert selling of 50/50 tickets in return for half the proceeds of the drawing. This is a lucrative fundraiser with very little input of effort. It was noted that the unavailability of the original volunteers lead to a last minute call for help and ideally needs 2 or 3 volunteers to fulfill our obligations to participate in this event. $470 was collected.

New Business

  • 2022-23 Meeting Dates: Those present agreed to hold regular meetings on 3rd Tuesday of each month while school is in session. Any changes to that schedule will be publicized through the website, email and Parent Square.
  • Folders for K & 1st grade: Cori Kinnicut recommended purchasing Hoosic Valley folders to be given to students in several grades at the beginning of the school year. It was decided to look into the cost and consider this for next school year. Anyone with specific comments or concerns should contact Lissa.
  • Tenure Gifts: 12 Hoosic Valley teachers & staff are up for tenure. Voted to purchase congratulatory cards containing $20 Vanilla gift cards for each, to be presented at the upcoming district tenure reception.
  • Indoor Recess Carts: The grant money from the Stewart’s match program form 2021 ($2000) is earmarked for Indoor Recess carts and activities. Liz is currently in discussions with Mrs. Greco to coordinate and decide the current needs and logistics of these purchases.
  • Passive Fundraisers: Amazon Smiles fundraiser will continue. A link for participating is on the HVPTO website. Some previously used passive fundraisers (BoxTops for Education, Hannaford Tools for Schools) are no longer available. Any ideas for similar types of fundraisers should be brought forward for consideration.
  • Halloween Night
    • Tiffany Hurley and Carolyn Gifford volunteered to chair the event this year’s Trunk or Treat which will be held Friday October 28. Anyone interested in helping should contact them.
    • Lisa Meehan was approached by Valley Falls library to gauge interest in joining with them in bringing a singer/storyteller event as part of the Halloween festivities. There is interest by those present but more details are needed. Lisa is gathering that information and gauging community interest and will call for a virtual vote if the funds of approximately $250-275 is going to be requested.
  • Pictures Days:  Elementary picture days thru Adirondack Studios will be October 20 and 21. Two volunteers are needed for each day; volunteers get a free photo package for their child. Contact Liz if you are interested.
  • Scholastic Book Fair
    • Currently scheduled for October 17-28
    • Discussion regarding the timing of this event – if the singer/storyteller event could overlap, there would be ideal opportunities to bring families in to buy from the book fair as well. 
    • Need volunteers during the preview days, whatever time can be given is appreciated 
    • Suggestion was made to check if high school reading buddy helpers and parents of the youngest grades could assist.
    • Book Fair is in great need of a person to take over this event and chair it in the future. Ideally, the person could shadow this year to learn the process. Please see Liz or Bessie Baldwin if you are interested.
  • Plants for Staff Rooms: Discussed the need to liven up staff rooms at both building with green plants. Liz will look for reasonable priced items or donations and bring it forth for future vote.
  • School Banking: A volunteer is needed to chair. It has been on hiatus during COVID and a new chairperson could establish the schedule and frequency of doing school banking. If interested, contact Liz.
  • Membership Drive: Discussion about recruiting new members. Flyers will be going home with elementary parents, recruiting was done at both open houses and new members can sign up on website at any time. 
    • Going forward, the focus will be on rapid, meaningful communication in order to get members and non-members interested in sharing ideas, input and their time. PTO has been added as a Group in the Parent Square App so hopefully that new outlet for communication will be helpful for keeping connected and increase engagement. 
  • Vendor Fair- Denile will chair. Scheduled for March 12. 

Next Meeting

Date: October 18, 2022, 6:30 pm Elementary School library

Motion to adjourn was at 7:48pm

submitted: LJM 9/26/22

PTO MINUTES 10/20/2021


Meeting location: Elementary library @ 6:30




Stacy Kyea, Bessie Baldwin, Lisa Meehan, Amelia Manders, Liz Ruepp, Carolyn Gifford, Sarah Weber, Erin Coffin

Call to Order: 6:34pm

Minutes review from

Officers Reports:

  1.  Treasurer’s Report:  in touch with Connie, agreed to do taxes, have bank statements Started new fiscal year, different balance in bank acct verus registrar


  1.  School supply Committee:  Lisa is getting lots of emails from vendors.  We are cutting ties with our last vendor.  Sarah will volunteer if PTO runs their own school supply.  We will readdress the issue closer to the end of the school year, and will not commit to any company right now.

Old Business:

  1.  Tenure Gifts: Virtual vote for yes. 8 staff members, 20.00 Dunkin gift cards Total of 160.
  2. Fall Fundraiser:  Saratoga olive oils (Lisa’s idea another school was doing it), Mixed bags (in the past) worked well
  3. Membership Drive:  Flyers trickled out the last 1 ½ weeks ago.  Got a decent response.  No paper membership forms.  Liz will touch base with the teachers
  4. School pics volunteers:  Cori is asking for 2 volunteers for both days. Perk of volunteering:  Free photos.  Reach out to PTO members who are already “volunteers”
  5. PT conference Dinner:  November night dinner.  Normally due a “potluck”  Liz will contact Mr Foti with what we can do.  Maybe do a “snack” option of pre packaged food through sign up genius.  
  6. Elem Staff Room:  Need Mr Foti to go any further with redoing this room.
  7. School Banking:  Should be able to proceed Kristee smith will continue doing it.
  8. Book Fair:  Arrived on Friday, set up Monday doing all previews this week.  Can buy Wednesday during school, after school Thursday and Friday.

New Business:

  1.  Meeting Dates:  Set for year:  11/16, 12/21, 1/18, 2/8, 3/15, 4/19, 5/17 until new elections
  2. Treasurer Position:  Amelia is stepping down and will be looking for a volunteer for a position.  Amelia will sit down with the new treasurer and do a review of everything with them.  
  3. Money Handling Policy:  We currently don’t have one.  It is a huge liability.  They have a “tally” sheet chairperson and other PTO members and initial sheet.  Do it separately then give the paper to the treasurer.  We need a written policy on the flow of money and how it happens and where the PTO debit card is kept.  And are we supposed to be reimbursed for tax?    

Future Discussions:

  1.  PTO insurance:  Put up for a vote in the next month or 2
  2. December events
  3. Festival of Wreaths:  Erika is usually in charge of it.  Want to expand into high school.  But PTO would need a volunteer within the school to make that happen.  Maybe involve the student council or honor society.
  4. Ornament Painting:  Need a volunteer to head committee:  If necessary Lisa and Carolyn can do it

Adjournment:  7:54pm

May 2021 Minutes

PTO MINUTES 5/5/2021

5/5/2021 @ 6:30pm

Virtual zoom meeting



Carolyn Gifford, Liz Ruepp, Mr P, Bridget Chapko, Cori Kinnicutt, Sarah Weber, Tiffany Hurley, Mark Foti, Erika Silverman, Stacey Kyea, Melissa Kalbfliesh

Mtg start time: 6:33pm

Officers Report:

March 2021 Minutes

Hoosic Valley PTO Minutes 


Virtual mtg at 6:30

Attendees: Carolyn Gifford, Melissa Kalbfliesh, Lisa Meehan, Stacey Smolinski, Liz Ruepp, Brandee Silloway, Kimberly Macica, Sarah Weber, Darcy Beaulac, Ericka Silverman, Amelia Manders, Meghan Luskin, Karen Carlson, Janice Lee, Tiffany Hurley 


Review of minutes from February

Officers Reports:

  1.  Treasurer’s Report:  250.00 check for the yearbook for highschool.  50.00 deposit from capcom and 10.00 donation.  And purchase of pool noodles for K and 2nd grade:  105.98.  Will get the detailed report later.  Feb. 31.84 Without above 22,597.76 is the balance inthe bank account.  Also applied for the stewart’s holiday match, they will let us know in March.  Income and expense report in the folder 

Committee Reports:

  1.  By laws Committee

Thumbs up last month for committee members that were present.   Will share the updated bylaws with the rest of PTO members to vote upon for next meeting.  Can reach out to Sarah committee chair or Liz as the president and if changes need to be made to bylaws.

  1.  Yearbook Committee

Trying to figure out a theme to go with.  2 options:  Where the wild things are?  Or Rocket/Space rocket theme?  Going to go with the “max” theme.  At a standstill because she doesn’t have a class list, with the way school started.  Liz will touch base with Cori tomorrow to hopefully get that.  Will meet with Tiffany for more ideas to put within the yearbook.  

  1.  Writing Olympics committee:

Submissions and editing will be easier, because the kids can submit through schoology and google docs.  Erin thoughts on a schedule, hopefully a flyer will be sent out next Wednesday within school.  Stories and artwork would be due March 31st.  April 21st to the printers.  And having a virtual author night the week before memorial day.  For authors night either send out a video or do a large virtual mtg.  Or to break into smaller groups “virtual classrooms” and then students can read their stories within the groups.  

Print last years with this year’s due to everything that happened with the school shutdowns.  Karen came up with the idea of possibly recording the kids reading the books.  Erin will need help with setting up the virtual meetings, or contact her if you want to help any way possible.  We can set up google meets through the PTO platform.

Unfinished Old Business:

  1. Teacher Wish Lists

Amelia has started those.  15 total lists between the 2 schools.  Liz will send another reminder email to the teachers.  The list is live, but not linked off a menu yet.  After all the teachers list are on the website then they will be linked through.  

  1. Virtual Bingo

All set to go Friday night March 5th.  Brigette and Lisa ran a test control this past weekend, it all went well!  Looking at possibly 15  families (60 cards).   Lisa has a couple 5.00 target cards, and was going to run past Brigette to give to people with “creativity”.  Have until midnight Thursday night before Bingo to sign up.  

  1. Teacher Appreciation

Last month we talked about another “chalk the walk” and the Farmer’s Feed bunk.  It is the 1st full week in May.  We are looking for good ideas, because we can’t get into the actual school for the teachers. Some schools do a theme for every day of appreciation week.  Sarah came up with the idea of decorating with the posters.  Possibly form a committee.  Sarah, Stacy, Liz all volunteered to run the committee.  Will hopefully have a great 

  1. Spring Picture Date:  March 29th, Cori wants a volunteer in the building for that.  Amanda Akin volunteered awhile ago and Liz was going to touch base with her to see if she could.  Liz is going to track down someone with Lifetouch, but our representative left.  Liz would love to hear about other photographers to possibly come in for school pictures.  (not ismile or lifetouch).  And 6th grade graduation pics should be in May.  Will also encourage teachers to go get a picture if they haven’t already.  
  2. Grants/Funding/Donations

200.00 Aldi’s grant to be applied to the Zillah Herrington Awards.  Still waiting to hear back from other grants and donations that PTO applied too.  Cori was going to reach out to the teachers regarding Zillah Herrington and what we can do other than handing out books the beginning of the month

  1.  PARP:  Kids are having a blast with it.  Many teachers stayed and decorated the Friday night before.  So thankful for the faculty and support for this program.  As a school raised almost 2500.00 for Ronald Mcdonald in the first 2 days.  PTO will get 10%.  Trying to figure out school raffles.  She is going to wait and see with grant money and has yet to buy any gift certificates.  She won’t pull the raffles until after April break.  

New Business:

  1.   Sensory Path

Come up within the budget workshops in conversation.  Brighten up the school inside and sensory path for the students.  PTO could assist in the funding.  The school should fund as well and could guide the project.  There is another budget workshop March 18th, all people all welcome to join in the conversation or go.  Margaret Rice has a lot of knowledge and information on the project.  Maybe HVEF could help with funding as well.  Walmart’s program has a max of 5,000.00-10,000.00 that no one in our district has applied for.  

  1. Senior Banners 

            Flags of the senior pics throughout the town.  Cost 1200.00 for each group as a contribution.  Seniors got to bring their pictures back home after graduation.  Seniors could possibly contribute to it financially.  Booster club would like to do the banquet still so they wouldn’t be able to contribute financially to both.  Will “discuss” the topic and she can go back to the senior advisors and let them know.  Can report back to PTO next month.  

  1.  MAC:  Share request:  increase the part time band teacher in elementary to full time.  In an effort to strengthen the department. Administration is behind this.  It used to be 4 full time k-12.  A concern we don’t have the numbers to justify it, during the budget workshop.  If you feel strongly about this for the music department, let people know and let the board know.  It would be a 21,000 budget increase.  You can email board members with your thoughts.  

Future Discussions:

Doing a buy 1 get 1 free for scholastic for 1 night only?  Is it a possibility.  Maybe make it a targeted night.  

Christa mentioned the Park Ave Confectionery in Mechanicville was doing a fundraiser for another school.  Any opinions for that?  Liz will contact them to see what their terms are and if possible to do in time for Easter

Also a meet the school board candidate night, should look into scheduling that

Adjournment:   7:52pm 

February 2021 Minutes

PTO minutes 2/3/2021

2/3/2021 @6:30pm

Virtual Meeting


Liz Ruepp, Melissa Kalbfliesh, Sarah Weber, Lisa Meehan, Denile Pero, Bridget Chapko, Janice Lee, Christa Waryas, Erika Silverman 

Mtg Start time:  6:37pm

January/February Minutes:  Accepted as read

Officers Report

January 2021 Minutes


Meeting Date:  1/6/2021

Virtual Meeting


Liz Ruepp, Lisa Meehan, Melissa Kalbfliesh, Erika Silverman, Bridget Chapko, Brandee Silloway, Bessie Baldwin, Carolyn Gifford, Stacy Kyea, Darcy Bealuac, Janice Lee, Christa Waryas, Amelia Manders

Mtg Start time:  6:34pm

Treasurer’s report:  Not many reimbursements, only check for snacks for the staff rooms, no funding requests last month. We might need to remind the teachers to utilize us, possibly partner with HVEF to reach out. We received a lifetouch check, it will be on next month’s report

Secretary’s report:  updated newsletter

Committee Reports:

  • Bylaws Committee:  format and send bylaws out this evening, read over for next meeting and get them approved
  • Yearbook:  back and forth on the idea.  Amelia is heading it up.  Most of it will be the class pics, not much content. Maybe put out a poll to see if parents were interested or call it for the year? One company has a “pay as you go yearbook”, no required number of books. Parents can customize 2 pages the other content would be what we prepare.  Amelia will do a facebook poll to see the interest.  Amelia will try to reach out to Kathy again and see how the photo folders are doing, possibly do reminders within the teacher bulletins.  Kathy went around and got pics before breaks.  Amelia did get permission to go in the school after break to get pics of classes with none.  The school class pictures have a lot of errors.

Unfinished (Old) Business:

  •  Festival of Wreaths:  Went really well!!  Amelia did a wonderful job with the website, tremendous response and would still like the online aspect.  Possible high school interaction, just not the year to do it but will reach out again next year to see if they would like to be involved.  Raised 964.65 through just the store, due to the extra fee for credit cards, but a total of 1019.65 with the donations.  Huge thank you to all that donated wreaths and those who purchased tickets towards the fundraiser.
  • Teacher wish lists:  Sent an email to the principals to send out a flyer.  Mr Foti wanted verification of who we wanted on the lists (teachers/aids)etc.  We agreed for everyone working in the building if they want a wishlist they can have one.  
  • Virtual Event:  Virtual bingo will be held on Friday, March 5th @6:00 pm. Bridget will be our caller. We will do a trial run before the event to work out any issues. We need to decide if we will have prizes/ fee to join.

Other things besides Bingo?  Paint and sip, cooking classes, scavenger hunt, trivia night etc

New Business

  •  PAPR:   Will run for the whole month of March.  Diving into Reading Ocean underwater theme partnering with Ronald Mcdonald house.  They will read 15 mins/5 days a week, track their reading and bring back every week. Ronald McDonald house  fundraiser – children will have sponsors for minutes they read or a flat rate.There is a website that people can send their donations through.  Ronald McDonald House will cut a 10 percent check back in what they raise.  They will be able to read certain amounts and get prizes through RMH.  Teachers will give raffles tickets and pull prizes at the end through school.  Possible donors –   Chrissys, Sammy Cohens, Fair, Schagaval, Brew Den, barber shops, Spare Time, etc. Ronald Mcdonald is going to do a virtual kickoff for the kids and the teachers will video their skit to introduce the program.  The top 2 earners would be invited to attend an event at the Ronald Mcdonald house. Possibly let kids order t-shirts to match the teachers for the month long event. 

Suggestion  – apply to Stewart’s holiday match for this.  Get money and then we can buy the gift certificates from local businesses. 

PTO voted to cover the cost of drinks and pizza for the teachers who will decorate on February 26 and fund decorations.  

PTO will provide a cover letter for donations.  

Can we incorporate Virtual “screen free” week?   Read aloud virtual night.  Kids could choose their own personal read alouds. 

  • High School Yearbook Ad 250.00 expense: All in favor, no one is opposed.

Future Discussion:


Adjournment:  7:37pm