Author: PTO President

Programs

Meeting Minutes

Date: September 22, 2022

Time: 6:30 pm

Location: Hoosic Valley Elementary School library

In Attendance

President: Liz Ruepp

Vice President: Lissa Kalbfliesh

Secretary: vacant

Treasurer: Carolyn Gifford (virtual)

In Person attendees:  Lisa Meehan, Tiffany Hurley, Denile Paro

Virtual attendees: Alyla Goldman, Brandee Silloway

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 6:37pm

Approval of Minutes

The minutes from the June meeting were not presented due to the transition of roles, that resulted from the resignation of the past Treasurer. Carolyn Gifford is now the Treasurer. 

The board moved to appoint Lisa Meehan to the secretary position for the remainder of the term.

Committee Reports

  • School Supply Kits:  Lisa reported that 103 kits were sold in May thru August. Delivery was on September 1st and went smoothly (with assistance from the office staff and Meghan Luskin). A check for the fundraising portion in the amount of $282.75 is being mailed to the Elementary School office by the vendor.

Unfinished (Old) Business:

  • Town Hall concert: Liz reported that HVPTO was invited to participate in the Schaghticoke town hall concert selling of 50/50 tickets in return for half the proceeds of the drawing. This is a lucrative fundraiser with very little input of effort. It was noted that the unavailability of the original volunteers lead to a last minute call for help and ideally needs 2 or 3 volunteers to fulfill our obligations to participate in this event. $470 was collected.

New Business

  • 2022-23 Meeting Dates: Those present agreed to hold regular meetings on 3rd Tuesday of each month while school is in session. Any changes to that schedule will be publicized through the website, email and Parent Square.
  • Folders for K & 1st grade: Cori Kinnicut recommended purchasing Hoosic Valley folders to be given to students in several grades at the beginning of the school year. It was decided to look into the cost and consider this for next school year. Anyone with specific comments or concerns should contact Lissa.
  • Tenure Gifts: 12 Hoosic Valley teachers & staff are up for tenure. Voted to purchase congratulatory cards containing $20 Vanilla gift cards for each, to be presented at the upcoming district tenure reception.
  • Indoor Recess Carts: The grant money from the Stewart’s match program form 2021 ($2000) is earmarked for Indoor Recess carts and activities. Liz is currently in discussions with Mrs. Greco to coordinate and decide the current needs and logistics of these purchases.
  • Passive Fundraisers: Amazon Smiles fundraiser will continue. A link for participating is on the HVPTO website. Some previously used passive fundraisers (BoxTops for Education, Hannaford Tools for Schools) are no longer available. Any ideas for similar types of fundraisers should be brought forward for consideration.
  • Halloween Night
    • Tiffany Hurley and Carolyn Gifford volunteered to chair the event this year’s Trunk or Treat which will be held Friday October 28. Anyone interested in helping should contact them.
    • Lisa Meehan was approached by Valley Falls library to gauge interest in joining with them in bringing a singer/storyteller event as part of the Halloween festivities. There is interest by those present but more details are needed. Lisa is gathering that information and gauging community interest and will call for a virtual vote if the funds of approximately $250-275 is going to be requested.
  • Pictures Days:  Elementary picture days thru Adirondack Studios will be October 20 and 21. Two volunteers are needed for each day; volunteers get a free photo package for their child. Contact Liz if you are interested.
  • Scholastic Book Fair
    • Currently scheduled for October 17-28
    • Discussion regarding the timing of this event – if the singer/storyteller event could overlap, there would be ideal opportunities to bring families in to buy from the book fair as well. 
    • Need volunteers during the preview days, whatever time can be given is appreciated 
    • Suggestion was made to check if high school reading buddy helpers and parents of the youngest grades could assist.
    • Book Fair is in great need of a person to take over this event and chair it in the future. Ideally, the person could shadow this year to learn the process. Please see Liz or Bessie Baldwin if you are interested.
  • Plants for Staff Rooms: Discussed the need to liven up staff rooms at both building with green plants. Liz will look for reasonable priced items or donations and bring it forth for future vote.
  • School Banking: A volunteer is needed to chair. It has been on hiatus during COVID and a new chairperson could establish the schedule and frequency of doing school banking. If interested, contact Liz.
  • Membership Drive: Discussion about recruiting new members. Flyers will be going home with elementary parents, recruiting was done at both open houses and new members can sign up on website at any time. 
    • Going forward, the focus will be on rapid, meaningful communication in order to get members and non-members interested in sharing ideas, input and their time. PTO has been added as a Group in the Parent Square App so hopefully that new outlet for communication will be helpful for keeping connected and increase engagement. 
  • Vendor Fair- Denile will chair. Scheduled for March 12. 

Next Meeting

Date: October 18, 2022, 6:30 pm Elementary School library

Motion to adjourn was at 7:48pm

submitted: LJM 9/26/22

September 22, 2022 Agenda

Hoosic Valley PTO

Meeting date:  9/22/2022 @ 6:30pm

Meeting location:  Elementary School library 

  • Call to Order
  • Minutes:  Review of minutes
  • Committee Reports 
    • School Supply Kits
  • Unfinished (Old) business 
    • Town Hall Concert 
  • New Business
    • Meeting dates
    • Folders for K & 1st grades
    • Tenure Gifts – 12 teachers & staff
    • Indoor Recess Carts – Stewarts grant
    • Passive Fundraisers – amazon smile, others?
    • Halloween Night – planning, committee, location
    • Membership Drive
    • Picture Days – Oct 20, 21, need volunteers
    • Plants for staff room
    • Book fair – Oct 17-28
    • School Banking – restart?
  • Funding Requests
    • N/A
  • Future Discussion
  • Adjournment 

3/15/22 Agenda

Hoosic Valley PTO

Meeting date: 3 /15/2022 @ 6:30pm

Meeting location:  Elementary School library

  • Call to Order
  • Minutes:  Review of minutes
  • Committee Reports 
    • Yearbook
    • Writing Olympics
    • Vendor Fair
  • Unfinished (Old) business
    • PARP
    • PTO Insurance
    • Meet the Candidate Night
    • Learning Fair
  • New Business
    • Spring Pictures – March 25
    • PTO presence at spring events
    • Donations
      • Oriental Trading
      • Kendra Scott
      • Aldi
      • Chipotle
      • Harbor Freight
    • Funding Requests
      • Jessia Clark – incubators for kindergarten ≈$300-350
  • Discussion
    • Spring Activities/ Fundraiser
    • Teacher Appreciation
    • Senior Walk

  • Adjournment

12/21/21 Minutes

Minutes

Hoosic Valley PTO

Meeting Date: 12/21/2021 @6:30 pm

Meeting location: In Person Elementary Library

Attendance: Liz, Melissa Kalbfliesh, Bessie Baldwin, Stacy Kyea

  • Call to Order at 6:33pm
  • Minutes:  Review of minutes
  • Officers’ Reports
    • Treasurer’s Report
  • Unfinished (Old) business
    • Duck donuts
      • Sold 100 dozen about $500 back
      • Most complicated part is pickup coordination
  • Festival of Wreaths
    • Did really well, largest to date
    • Prior to last year only in person, last year was only online, this year both
    • $1640 total
    • Very quick time crunch, next year request to start earlier for people to make wreaths
    • Team of 4 hung them very quickly
    • Need disclaimer next year that all sales are final, no refunds
  • Ornament night
    • Fewer than normal participants
  • Elem Yearbook
    • Chair is Tiffany Hurley
    • Starting now
    • Drive should be up after winter break
    • A parent volunteered to take pictures, needs district ok
  • Money handling policy
    • Needs to exist
    • Liz to send out email for committee formation
  • New Business
  • School Photographer
    • Return was $1857.53
    • Can we use the smile awards for spring? None were used
    • 10 families used multiple child discount
    • Resigning for next year
  • Spring Book Fair
    • Only one week due to covid may 16-20
    • We can open as soon as it’s delivered. Won’t know if we have extra days until scheduled.
    • More advanced reading books this time
  • Writing Olympics
    • Push writing Olympics to book fair – possibly May 19th
    • Reach out to hvaa to request no games that night
    • Building request form in and approved for the gym
  • Vendor Fair
    • March 13th
    • A few vendors signed up but looking for more
  • Replacement yearbook for student
    • $20 approval to replace a lost order never received
  •  Future Discussions
  • Spring Events
  • Book fair
  • Writing Olympics
  • Color run? GMA to check with the insurance
  • PTO insurance
  • Childcare during meetings – NHS? Seniors?
  •   Adjournment  at 6:59

Agenda 12/21/2021

Hoosic Valley PTO

Meeting Date: 12/21/2021 @6:30 pm

Meeting location: In Person Elementary Library

Call to Order

Minutes:  Review of minutes

Officers’ Reports

  • Treasurer’s Report

Unfinished (Old) business

  • Duck donuts
  • Festival of Wreaths
  • Ornament night
  • Elem Yearbook
  • Money handling policy

New Business

  • School Photographer
  • Spring Book Fair
  • Writing Olympics
  • Vendor Fair
  • Replacement yearbook for student

Future Discussions

  • Spring Events
  • PTO insurance
  • Childcare during meetings – NHS? Seniors?

Adjournment

Festival Of Wreaths

Thank You for your support of the 2021 Festival Of Wreaths! You helped make this our most successful year ever!

Our 2021 Festival Of Wreaths winners are –

Christmas Cheer – Chris D.

Hit the Trails – Lilith B.

Get Caffeinated – Jim S.

Christmas Spirit – Kaile Kenyon

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town – Dawn T.

Stay Warm and Toasty – Lisa M.

We Wish You A Fidget Christmas – Andrea D.

Bee Merry – Kim S.

K9 Christmas – Jess M.

Country Christmas – Megan L.

Rainbow Sparkle – Scarlett L.

Merry Grinchmas – Jayson R.

Snowman Delight – NJ C.

Divine Chocolate Cheer – Andrea S.

Buffalo Bills – Carlee Y.

Antler Greetings – Nahla S.

Self Care – Emmalee W.

A Lotto Luck – Priscilla I.

Farmhouse Everyday – Jess T.

Farmhouse Christmas – Carrie D.

Rustic Holiday – Callie B.

Winners will be contacted for pickup. Thank you to everyone that participated – your contributions enable us to continue supporting our teachers and students!

Hoosic Valley’s Festival of Wreaths 2021

Here’s your chance to support our fabulous Festival of Wreaths fundraiser. Between Dec 3-17th, your 50 cent donation gets you a single ticket to place in the running for your favorite wreath. The more you donate, the greater your chances to take one home! Use the code ARMSLENGTH on any donation of $7.50 or more to receive a 33% discount.

Tickets will also be available to purchase in person at the Winter Concerts!

AGENDA 11/16/2021

NOVEMBER AGENDA

Hoosic Valley PTO

Meeting Date: 11/16/2021 @6:30 pm

Meeting location:  Elementary Library

Call to Order

Minutes:  Review of minutes

Treasurer’s Report

Funding Requests

  • Trish Pallozzi – $75 4×8 banner
  • Janet Folkman – Nature’s Miracle (3) $9.99
  • HS Yearbook Ad

Unfinished (Old) business

  • Fall Fundraiser
  • Membership Drive
  • School Pics
  • PT conference dinner
  • Elem Staff room
  • School Banking
  • Treasurer Position
  • Money Handling Policy

New Business

  • Mr Apostol – Capital Project
  • December Events
    • Festival Of Wreaths
    • Ornament Night

 Future Discussions

  • PTO insurance
  • Vendor Fair

 Adjournment  

PTO MINUTES 10/20/2021

PTO MINUTES

Meeting location: Elementary library @ 6:30

10/20/2021

Minutes:

Attendees:

Stacy Kyea, Bessie Baldwin, Lisa Meehan, Amelia Manders, Liz Ruepp, Carolyn Gifford, Sarah Weber, Erin Coffin

Call to Order: 6:34pm

Minutes review from

Officers Reports:

  1.  Treasurer’s Report:  in touch with Connie, agreed to do taxes, have bank statements Started new fiscal year, different balance in bank acct verus registrar

Committee:

  1.  School supply Committee:  Lisa is getting lots of emails from vendors.  We are cutting ties with our last vendor.  Sarah will volunteer if PTO runs their own school supply.  We will readdress the issue closer to the end of the school year, and will not commit to any company right now.

Old Business:

  1.  Tenure Gifts: Virtual vote for yes. 8 staff members, 20.00 Dunkin gift cards Total of 160.
  2. Fall Fundraiser:  Saratoga olive oils (Lisa’s idea another school was doing it), Mixed bags (in the past) worked well
  3. Membership Drive:  Flyers trickled out the last 1 ½ weeks ago.  Got a decent response.  No paper membership forms.  Liz will touch base with the teachers
  4. School pics volunteers:  Cori is asking for 2 volunteers for both days. Perk of volunteering:  Free photos.  Reach out to PTO members who are already “volunteers”
  5. PT conference Dinner:  November night dinner.  Normally due a “potluck”  Liz will contact Mr Foti with what we can do.  Maybe do a “snack” option of pre packaged food through sign up genius.  
  6. Elem Staff Room:  Need Mr Foti to go any further with redoing this room.
  7. School Banking:  Should be able to proceed Kristee smith will continue doing it.
  8. Book Fair:  Arrived on Friday, set up Monday doing all previews this week.  Can buy Wednesday during school, after school Thursday and Friday.

New Business:

  1.  Meeting Dates:  Set for year:  11/16, 12/21, 1/18, 2/8, 3/15, 4/19, 5/17 until new elections
  2. Treasurer Position:  Amelia is stepping down and will be looking for a volunteer for a position.  Amelia will sit down with the new treasurer and do a review of everything with them.  
  3. Money Handling Policy:  We currently don’t have one.  It is a huge liability.  They have a “tally” sheet chairperson and other PTO members and initial sheet.  Do it separately then give the paper to the treasurer.  We need a written policy on the flow of money and how it happens and where the PTO debit card is kept.  And are we supposed to be reimbursed for tax?    

Future Discussions:

  1.  PTO insurance:  Put up for a vote in the next month or 2
  2. December events
  3. Festival of Wreaths:  Erika is usually in charge of it.  Want to expand into high school.  But PTO would need a volunteer within the school to make that happen.  Maybe involve the student council or honor society.
  4. Ornament Painting:  Need a volunteer to head committee:  If necessary Lisa and Carolyn can do it

Adjournment:  7:54pm